Wind band Competitions & Call for pieces
|Hillcrest Wind Ensemble 2017/18 Call for Scores|
|Summary:||Wind Ensemble Call|
|Deadline:||06 November 2017|
|Date Posted:||22 February 2017|
This composition competition is open to all North American composers. Members of the HWE and their families are not eligible. All entries must meet the guidelines below to be considered.
What we’re looking for:
1) Style/Subject Matter: All styles of music will be considered. All compositions must be original works for wind ensemble (composer’s transcriptions are okay) and NOT have been previously published or performed in order to be performed as a World Premiere Performance. (No self-published works will be accepted – publish your work after the contest.)
2) Wind Ensemble: score for standard wind ensemble. We have the following instruments:
6 Flutes (up to 3 piccs), 2 Oboes, 2 Bassoons, 1 Eb Clar, 6 Bb Clar, 1 Bass Clar, 1 Alto Clar or Contra Alto Clar, 2 Alto Sax, 1 Tenor Sax, 1 Bari Sax, 5 Cornets/Trumpets, 4 Horns, 3 Trombones, 2 Euph/Baritones, 2 Tubas, 1 String Bass, 1 Timpani, 1 Mallet, 2 Percussion
Do NOT include English horn, soprano sax, harp, piano, etc. We don’t have those instruments.
We have limited technology for electronics. If your composition includes electronics it should be easily accessible. Vocals are permissible for up to 4 singers, SATB or solo voice.
3) Duration: Preference is given to works between 4 and 10 minutes in length.
4) Entry Fee(s): The entry fee is $20 for each submission. If submitting pieces via E-mail, then checks should be mailed under separate cover to the address below.
5) Difficulty: Pieces should be for medium to advanced players. Grade 3 to 5.
6) If in the opinion of the judges no entry is deemed worthy of the prize, none shall be awarded.
Deadline for submissions: November 6, 2017 (postmarked or E-mail by 11:59pm).
The winning entries will be notified in December 2017. Parts needed by January 10, 2018.
There will be two cash awards: 1st place of $500.00 and 2nd place of$250.00. Winning pieces will be performed at the HWE Spring Concert in 2018.
What to submit
1) Score: professional quality score which is bound or a PDF file E-mailed.
2) Composer information: Information sheet with your name, address, telephone number and E-mail.
3) Recording: Live or MIDI sound file is okay. Recordings must be WAV or MP3 format. If we can’t listen to it, we won’t consider it. CDs should be labeled. E-mailed files should be MP3, 6MB max.
4) Entry fee(s): a non-refundable application fee of $20.00 in the form of a check must be included with each submission. All checks must be made payable to "The Center - HWE", with “HWE Composition” noted in the memo. US funds only. Entry fees are tax deductible.
Email PDF score and MP3 file (no larger than 6mb) to firstname.lastname@example.org
Entry fee can be mailed separately, but must be postmarked no later than November 6, 2017.
You may alternatively mail hardcopies and recording (WAV or MP3 file) to:
Hillcrest Wind Ensemble
PO Box 3606
Chula Vista, CA 91909
For questions E-mail: email@example.com
|The Cypress Symphonic Band 4th Annual Call for Scores|
|Deadline:||01 May 2017|
|Date Posted:||08 February 2017|
Entry Fee: None|
Open to: Emerging composers, regardless of age or nationality
Prize: Selected compositions will be performed by the Cypress Symphonic Band, a volunteer community wind ensemble based in Houston, Texas.
Theme: The theme for this season is Monsters, Myths, Legends, and Heroes. Preference will be given to those works that can be considered to match the theme.
Deadline: May 1, 2017
The Cypress Symphonic Band, a volunteer community wind ensemble, is dedicated to the performance of new compositions by living composers who have not yet been widely performed. The ensemble is currently seeking new or unperformed works for the 2017-2018 season.
Rules for Entry (entries not adhering to the following conditions will be rejected):
· Instrumentation: Works must be for standard wind ensemble and will adhere as closely as possible to the following instrumentation: 1 Pic.[opt], 2 Flute, 2 Oboe, 2 Bssn, 1 Eb Clar. [opt], 3 Bb Clar., 1 Bass Clar., 1 Contra Alto Clar., 2 Alto Sax., 1 Tenor Sax., 1 Bari. Sax., 4 Horns, 3 Trpts., 2 Trbn., 1 Bass Trbn., 1 Euph., 1 Tuba, 1 String Bass, Perc. [opt]. The work may include piano and/or harp. Scores with minimal percussion parts (up to four players) will be given preference.
· Composer: There is no age restriction. Preference is given to those composers who do not have a track record of performances by university or professional wind ensembles.
· Duration: There is no maximum or minimum duration, but preference is given to works
between 4 and 10 minutes in length.
· Difficulty: All difficulty levels are acceptable, but preference is given to those works that would be considered grade 4 or 5 by the standards of the latest Texas University Interscholastic League Prescribed Music List.
· Prior Performance: Works may not have been publicly performed. Reading and/or recording sessions for the purposes of submission are acceptable. The performance of the winning entries by the Cypress Symphonic Band will be considered world premieres, and will be marketed as such.
· Published (including self-published) works will not be accepted.
· Audio Files: Composers are strongly encouraged to include links to some sort of audio realization (MIDI, live performance, etc.) of their scores.
· Number of Entries: Composers may submit as many entries as they wish, each under separate cover.
· Age of Works: Entries must have been composed after Dec. 31, 2015.
· Copyright: The entrant must be the sole owner of the work being submitted, and is the responsible party in the case of any disputes. All copyrights will be retained by the composer. No arrangements will be accepted—only original works. The owner of the work agrees to limited performance and mechanical rights without payment of royalties to the Cypress Symphonic Band for a single live performance and the sale and distribution of demonstration recordings. The copyright owner also agrees to allow the band to place a copy of the recording on their website for a limited time for public access. Any recordings provided to the copyright owner by the Cypress Symphonic Band may be used by the copyright owner in perpetuity without restriction.
· Prize: The judging panel will select up to eight works to be performed and recorded during the 2017-2018 season, and a recording of the performance, if available, will be provided to the composer. Additionally, outstanding works will be offered the opportunity to publish through Avalon Press. The panel reserves the right to select no entries if none are acceptable. Second Round composers will be informed prior to June 1, and will be invited at their own expense to attend the performance of their work. Upon notification of a winning entry, all performance materials must be submitted in PDF format by June 15, 2017.
· Submission deadline: May 1, 2017
Please submit all materials electronically (pdf/mp3 format only. No Soundcloud links, please.) to: submissions@CypressSymphonicBand.org
Please contact Clancy Weeks with any questions regarding the submission requirements, and place CSB Submission in the Subject line.
Contact Information: Clancy Weeks
Deadline: 1 May 2017
|NBA/Alfred Publishing Young Band Composition Contest, sponsored by Alfred Publishing|
|Deadline:||01 June 2017|
|Date Posted:||27 September 2016|
The NBA/Alfred Publishing Young Band Composition Contest is sponsored by Alfred Publishing. Special thanks to composer and music educator Robert Sheldon for his support and guidance in establishing this special partnership with the National Band Association. This young band contest seeks to find composers writing for grades 1-3. There is a cash prize for the winner, plus the possibility of the winning work being published in Alfred’s Young Band catalog. Deadline for submissions is June 1, 2017. For information, email the contest chair, Audrey Murphy: firstname.lastname@example.org.|