Fresh Voices XVII Festival of New Works
|Fresh Voices XVII Festival of New Works|
|Deadline:||01 May 2017|
|Date Posted:||14 February 2017|
Goat Hall Productions is an organization of singers/actors, composers and writers passionate about contemporary opera, new music theater and song. We are dedicated to producing works that reflect and define the world around us in all its diversity while shining a light on the human spirit. We seek to collaborate with composers and librettists in the presentation of new works, provide opportunities for classically-trained singers to perform new roles, program works that are multi-faceted, melodic and accessible, presenting all works in ways that are thought-provoking and life-changing.|
WHAT WE ARE LOOKING FOR
The title of the show is “2017”. We are looking for vocal works that resonate with the times. Works may be in any form: opera, musical theater, individual songs or song cycles not to exceed a total performance time of fifteen minutes. Works may be in any artistic style and in any language (subject to the availability of singers). Multi-cultural/multi-gender works are encouraged. Complete works are preferred but excerpts from larger works will be considered.
2017 — FRESH VOICES XVII FESTIVAL OF NEW WORKS
Goat Hall will select 4-6 vocal works for performance at Fresh Voices XVII. There will be four performances in Vallejo, California, at Bay Area Stage on Saturday/Sunday August 5-6 and August 12-13. All performances will be at 8:00PM. There will be eight rehearsals per work and rehearsals will occur on Saturdays and/or Sundays. There will also be two Friday dress rehearsals at the theater on August 4 and 11.
The production costs for the Festival are covered in part by grants, donations, and ticket sales; however, these sources are not always sufficient to fund the entire event. For that reason, composers selected to participate may be asked to share in covering any gap in production costs for rehearsals and performances. Costs will be prorated based on the length and complexity of the works and the number of singers required to perform them. Selected composers will be advised of all costs prior to committing to participate.
All composers living in Northern California are eligible to participate.
• Submit a printed copy of the final vocal score of a work that has not been professionally performed. Composers may submit one work only. Works may include 1-5 voices a cappella or with piano accompaniment. Materials submitted do not need to be anonymous.
(Works requiring instruments other than or in addition to piano will be considered, but the composer assumes responsibility for
securing and paying the additional musicians. The musicians must be able to meet the Festival’s rehearsal schedule.)
• Submit one CD with a MIDI or live audio/video recording of the work.
• If you are submitting excerpts from a larger work, you need only send the relevant portions of the score and a recording of those sections.
• Submit an info sheet which includes the title of the work, the composer’s name and contact information including address, phone, email address and website, and a 250-word bio. The info sheet should also include program notes up to 250 words for the work or for any extracts being submitted.
• If the libretto or texts used in the work are not in the public domain, then submit a letter from the copyright owner confirming permission for their use.
• Mail the printed score, recording, and info sheet by May 1, 2017 to:
Goat Hall Productions
Attn: Harriet March Page
189 Rainier Circle
• Composers will receive an email confirmation that their submission packages were received.
• Selected composers will be notified no later than May 30, 2017.
• Submitted materials for works that are not selected will be returned.
Email Harriet March Page at firstname.lastname@example.org
Goat Hall Productions Fresh Voices Festivals are funded in part
by a generous grant from the Anne and Gordon Getty Foundation